Online integration license for Data Protector
This license lets you do online backup of databases and other special applications.
Quite often, you don't need this license. Here is a list of situations where you don't need this license because you get it for free with Data Protector:
- Taking a moment-in-time snapshot of a Windows system using VSS. That's just a filesystem backup with the VSS snapshot turned on.
- Taking a moment-in-time snapshot of a Linux box. That's just a filesystem backup with some hairy LVM commands as a pre-exec and post-exec.
- Taking a moment-in-time snapshot of your Amazon AWS stuff. That's just a filesystem backup where you have a pre-exec that does some AWS commands.
- Your DBAs take regular database dumps and put them into files; you just need Data Protector to put them on tape. This is just a filesystem backup.
- You have some virtual machines (either VMware or Hyper-V). You want to back them up by pretending that they are physical machines, and you don't mind installing an agent inside them. No license required, because you can install as many disk agents as you like.
- You need to make an ISO image or netboot image that can do bare-metal disaster recovery of a machine (virtual or physical). No license required, AutoDR is free.
Here's where you do need this license:
- You want to backup MS-Exchange, particularly if you are thinking about doing granular recovery.
- You want to backup Sharepoint and you are thinking about doing granular recovery.
- You want to backup Oracle, MS-SQL, MaxDB, Informix, SybaseIQ, SAP HANA or other supported database, and you want all the nice features of Data Protector (e.g. point-in-time recovery just by pointing and clicking).
- You want to backup Hyper-V or VMware virtual machines and you can't (or won't) install an agent on to them.